Steps to become a Notary in the state of California
Notaries are people appointed by the state government to perform the legal formalities. One can follow a few steps and become a notary in the state of California. You can start your Notary business here too and earn a considerable amount of money per year. All you need to do is to fill out form, ensure you meet all the criteria, complete some courses, buy CA Notary Bond, and get your paperwork complete to start working as a notary.
Steps towards becoming Notary
A resident of California can become a notary in the state if he or she is interested by following few steps. They are:
- Ensure if you are eligible to become a notary in the state. You must be minimum 18 years of age, legal citizen of the State, passed the background check and cleared the exam approved by Secretary of State.
- You have to take up six-hour training course from a State approved vendor.
- The next step is to fill the Notary Public Application form of California State.
- You have to pass the State exam where you have to bring your photo ID, 2” x 2” color passport picture, application form, proof of completion of training course and payment of $49 as fee.
- You need to submit your fingerprints for background check for Request for Live Scan Service at Live Scan Locations given by Department of Justice with a fee of $10 to $60.
- Wait for approval from the state. You will receive a notary public commission packet with instructions, commission certificate and filling forms.
- You can them get the CA Notary Bond of $15,000.
- You need to file for bond and oath of office from country clerk within 30 days.
- Next thing to do is to order for notary supplies including journal and stamp.
After you have given the exam, you will take about two weeks to around six months to get the commission. It depends on the volume of application for the commission to be approved and then you can become a notary.